Galaxy Backbone was established by the Federal Government of Nigeria to operate a nationwide IP-based network that will provide a common platform for connectivity and other infrastructure services for all Government Ministries, Departments and Agencies (MDAs).
As per the mandate of its parent, the Federal Ministry of Communication, Galaxy Backbone is responsible for the following:
- Be the provider of shared ICT infrastructure, applications and services to all Federal Government MDAs and institutions.
- Build and operate a single nation-wide IP broadband network to provide network services to all Federal Government MDAs and institutions.
- Deploying and maintaining all national database management systems and transversal applications in government. These include government wide messaging and collaboration, federal public service personnel and payroll system, Government gateway and national portal.
- Set standards and guidelines for the support of government MDAs in the acquisition and acceptable usage of ICT infrastructure, applications and services across different agencies and government institutions.
- Providing Wide Area Networks(WAN) and Metropolitan Area Networks(MAN) to connect all government entities.
- Be the provider of technical support to the Ministry of Communication Technology for end to end Quality Assurance of ICT projects and capacity building for ICT professionals in government.